This post is also available in: Suomi (Finnish)
It’s been a while. To be exact, the last time I blogged was about six months ago. Phew, time flies by so fast. However, being a new parent, you could tell me that it’s May and I’d believe you. Some days I don’t even know how to spell my name so it’s a miracle that I knew how to use WordPress after such a long break.
Raising a baby has been a lot more intense than I could have imagined and there are a lot of things I feel like writing about and sharing, but I can barely function after we get our little monkey down for the night, so I better keep this short and sweet and focus on this little treat that I’ve got you.
I had lunch with a friend + our babies at El Fant last week, and after surviving our kiddos throwing all their toys, sweat dripping down my back, and all the hurdle that comes up when out on the town with a small human being (at some point I noticed my boy eating one of the hanging plants on the wall…), we decided to share a piece of their chocolate banana bread. It was so good, that I decided to bake some at home too. I have a recipe for banana bread on the archives but this time I wanted to make the bread vegan and add some good chunks of chocolate to the batter. And it really was a genius combination. I always think banana bread is at its best on the next day and once the flavors have had time to ‘set’, I like to cut a huge slice and enjoy it with some plant milk. And then maybe get another slice. But what I really think is genius, is to freeze a few slices so that I have a go to treat whenever I need a moment of pampering just for myself without hanging plants eaten :)
Sending you all love and light and beautiful Autumn days ♡
Chocolate Banana Bread (GF + V)
notes: for a non-vegan version, you can replace the flaxseed meal with two organic eggs. gluten-free oat flour or buckwheat flour work well instead of the almond flour too.
makes a 24×10 cm loaf
2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water
3 big ripe bananas
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup almond flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of vanilla powder
a pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used these)
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C / 350°F. In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed meal and water and let thicken for a few minutes.
2. Add the bananas, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and almond milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Measure the flour, baking powder, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon to a large bowl. Pour in the banana mixture and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate chips (leave some for topping).
4. Cover the loaf pan with baking paper and if necessary, grease the sides lightly with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and add some chocolate chips on top.
4. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm, and enjoy! For storing I recommend keepin the the bread in the fridge. You can also freeze some slices of the bread and then just pop them to the toaster when a craving for banana bread hits!