This post is also available in: Suomi (Finnish)
Yay, we made it to December! I’m still not used to the darkness (even though I’ve had 29 years to accept it..) but I’m happy that we got through November, as it always seems to be the toughest month. But here are a couple of things I’m looking forward to now: getting into the Christmas spirit while keeping things very simple, hot chocolate and other warm yummy drinks, and cooking with friends on weeknights. We’ve had friends over this past autumn on weeknights and it’s been so nice to eat dinner together and hang out without the stress of spending hours on prepping / cleaning etc. When cooking for a bigger group, I’m a fan of oven-baked things and lasagna is always a classic everyone loves. My version of this absolute comfort food is a gluten-free vegetable lasagna that gets its flavor from roasted vegetables and mushrooms. Yummy.
Even though making a lasagna takes a bit more time than my usual go-to weeknight meals, it’s still an easy thing to make (plus you’ll probably end up with leftovers!). Lasagna is also the perfect thing to use the vegetables hiding in the back of the fridge or the leftover cheese blocks no one’s using. So feel free to add a vegetable in the mix or use your favorite cheese for topping :) xo’s!
Gluten-free Vegetable Lasagna with Mushrooms
into a 30 x 20 cm baking tray / serves six
400 g mushrooms
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper
3 cans (à 400 g) crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp honey (or another sweetener)
salt and black pepper
a handful of fresh baby spinach
gluten-free lasagna noodles
300 g organic mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F degrees. Rinse and dry the eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms if needed. Cut the vegetables into small pieces about the size of 1 x 2 cm. Mix the vegetables with a little olive oil, salt, and black pepper and spread on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Roast in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until the vegetables are slightly browned.
2. While the vegetables are cooking in the oven, prepare the tomato sauce. Place the crushed tomatoes to a large saucepan and mix in the spices. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer on low heat as long as the vegetables are in the oven.
3. Take the sauce off the stove and mix the tomato sauce, roasted vegetables, and spinach. Lower the oven temperature to 175 C / 350 F degrees.
4. Then start building the lasagna: add a little tomato sauce to the bottom of the dish, then add an even layer of lasagna noodles. Add a second and third layer of sauce and lasagna noodles and add half of the mozzarella to the third layer. You can either tear the mozzarella into “crumbs” or cut it into thin slices. On the top, add some sauce and the rest of the mozzarella.
5. Put the lasagna in the oven and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes until the lasagne noodles have softened and the cheese has melted. Let cool before serving. You can serve this for example with a simple green salad. Enjoy!